What Monoculars Telescope Are Used For: Which Is Best
WHAT DOES MONOCULAR MEAN?
A monocular is a type of telescope — an optical device that magnifies distance objects using curved lenses or mirrors that gathers and focuses light or other forms of infrared radiation (in the case of digital, night vision and thermal devices) and to produce an image. Monoculars only have one eyepiece for viewing with one eye. Monoculars are more compact, lighter weight and more cost-effective than binoculars.
A (Very) Brief History of Telescoping Optics
A German-born optician named Hans Lippershey is credited with the invention of the first telescoping device. His first experiment was very simple—two lenses held together to magnify objects further away. He called it a “looker.”
In 1608, he filed a patent for his magnifier with the Dutch government but was rejected because the design of the device was too simple. His patent was published which led to many developments in the world of magnified optics.
In 1609, Galileo Galilei used Lippershey’s patent to create a high magnification telescope to view space. His had a magnification range of 3-10x. Though telescopes are mostly used for astronomy, the earliest magnified optics designed throughout the 1700s were primarily for nautical and military uses.
What Do the Numbers on a Monocular Mean?
The most important numbers in the specifications of a monocular are the magnification range and the objective lens—which are displayed like this: 8x32mm. The magnification can be either single or in a range, displayed as such: 4-16x.
The magnification (x) is the measurement of how much larger the object appears than what you see with your naked eye. As in the example above, the object is magnified 8 times. Though larger magnifications allow you to see objects much further away, it will decrease your field of view and requires a bigger optic.
The objective lens is the eyepiece located furthest away from your eye. Its diameter is measured in millimeters. The larger the objective lens, the better it gathers light, providing a brighter image. However, the quality of the lens of the monocular matters more in the clarity of the picture. Also, the larger the objective lens, the bulkier the monocular.
A larger monocular will be harder to hold steady for longer periods and more difficult to keep in focus—essentially defeating the purpose of a monocular.
Uses for Monocular
One of the greatest benefits of a monocular is the size. Monoculars are compact and lightweight. Some are even the size of a writing pen! Many monoculars will fit in your pocket and though there are compact, pocket-size binoculars, quality is (usually) significantly comprised.
Monoculars are perfect for short term scanning, scouting and viewing while:
- Watching concerts, sporting events, opera, ballet and other performances
Specialized monoculars like night vision, thermal and digital are used in law enforcement and military applications, especially when doing surveillance or searching for suspects in the dark.
There are many benefits to using a monocular vs. binoculars:
- Because of their size, hikers, backpackers and campers can easily carry them without compromising weight.
- Since you view using only one eye, you still have a very wide field of view and can remain situationally aware.
- Monoculars are very easy to use with simple focus adjustments.
- You can use most monoculars one-handed.
- Monoculars are less expensive to make, so you get more value per dollar, especially if you are shopping for high-end and specialty monoculars like Pulsar's thermal Axion monocular
There are only a few reasons why you should pick binoculars over a monocular when it comes to your outdoor adventures — hunters and bird or wildlife watchers who must scout for long periods will feel more comfortable using binoculars.
Top Waterproof Monocular Reviews 2021
- ✅ SMOOTH ONE FINGER FOCUSING – Super easy ONE HAND FOCUS, provides less shake, very easy to hold steady with one hand. We’ve combined the best of comfort and functionality meaning you can comfortably hold the scope for long periods of time. Solidly built, yet lightweight for outdoorsman and adventure seekers. You can even mount it to a tripod!
- ✅ DON’T BE FOOLED BY COPYCATS – See in High Definition If it doesn’t say Craftronic SkySense on the side it’s not a Craftronic SkySense Scope. We use Optical Glass With Premium Fully Multi Coated, BAK4 Prism ALL Glass Lens guarantees superior light transmission and brightness for optimal bright, crisp, clear viewing. Seeing is Believing.
- ✅ SEE IN VIBRANT HIGH-DEFINITION – Our Top of the Line, Weatherproof, Rock Solid Rubber Armour Construction Offers True 12x50 Viewing - Compact, Durable, High Quality Precision Design Featuring All Glass High End Optics, (FMC Superior BAK4 Green Film Prism) IDEAL FOR TRAVEL - Concerts, Outdoor Activities, Bird Watching, Hunting, Archery, Hiking, Camping, Boating, Target Shooting, Climbing, Water Sports.
- ✅ PHONE ADAPTER – COMFORT HAND STRAP - EXTENDABLE MINI TRIPOD & CASE - Include a Smartphone Clamp So You Can Take Photos With Your Phone. We Also Include A Portable Tripod, A Super-Secure, Comfortable Hand Strap, Retractable Eyecup For Use With Or Without Eyeglasses. Comes With Carrying Case, Cleaning Cloth & Lens Caps.
- ✅ 100% SATISFACTION WARRANTY – We stand by our product with 2-year warranty, 90 days money-back & lifetime tech support. Any issues and we will replace a new one and make things right for you. Craftronic is a registered trademark of Equinox Technology Inc, products are CE, FCC, RoHs Certified.
SkySense - Clear View Magnificent Monocular Telescope
Our compact 12X zoom monocular is sure to please any outdoor enthusiast thanks to its versatile magnification range and rugged, waterproof design.
Measuring less than 7” long, the Waterproof Monocular is easy to take anywhere you want to enjoy powerful views of birds, wildlife, landforms, bullseye targets, outdoor vistas and more! You can even glimpse craters on the Moon with this petite power performer on clear evenings.
- 12X Magnification
- 50mm Objective Lens
- With Focus Wheel
- Ergonomic Handle
- Anti-Slip Material